Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

Quick to assemble, cheap ingredients and so easy to make! It does require a good bit of baking time so prepare for that in advance. We are not vegetarians, but we absolutely love this casserole. I took it to a family Christmas meal where it received rave reviews. I got the original recipe here. 

This time, I used red lentils because that's all I had on hand. I recommend using brown because they seem to hold up better for the casserole and seemed to absorb the liquid a little better. I also used white cheddar and I generally use yellow cheddar, but it was equally delish!

Casserole served with green peas. The casserole was a little juicy with the red lentils
 
One reviewer on the recipe where I found it said she combines the dry ingredients and puts it in baggies and gives it out as gifts to all her vegetarian friends. I loved that idea. All they have to do then is add water, bake and add the cheese.

Enjoy. 

Lentil and Brown Rice Casserole

3 Cups vegetable or chicken broth (I use Wildtree's vegetable bullion base)
3/4 cup lentils
1/2 cup brown rice
3/4 cup chopped onion (I use 1/4 cup Wildtree's Absolutely Onion Blend)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (I use Wildtree's Perfect Pizza Sauce Blend)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (I use Wildtree's California Style Garlic and Pepper Blend and instead of incorporating it into the casserole I sprinkle it on top after I have added the cheese.)
1 Cup grated cheese (cheddar or a blend is preferable)

 Method: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a baking dish except the cheese. (An 11X7 pan work great.) 

Baked and ready for cheese and 20 more minutes in the oven
Topped with white cheddar and ready for a few more minutes in the oven

Cover with foil and bake for one (1) hour and ten (10) minutes. Remove foil. Top casserole with cheese and sprinkle with Wildtree California Style Garlic and Pepper Blend if using.

Return to oven and bake another 20 minutes.   
 


Served sautéed onions, mushrooms, minced garlic, chopped kale and halved cherry tomatoes with this dish this evening. Oh so yum!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment