Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cheesy Egg Bake

This is one of 3 recipes I used out of EveryDay with Rachel Ray for our make-ahead Christmas breakfast. The other two recipes were Mixed Citrus Salad and Brown Sugar Coffee Cake. I halved this recipe since it was just for my husband and I and our two small children. It was delicious!

From EveryDay with Rachel Ray December 2012 issue. 

Cheesy Egg Bake
Serves 8-10 Prep 30 Min Bake 45 Min

2 TBSP butter (I used Wildtree's Butter Flavored Grapeseed Oil)
1 and 1/2 lbs mini sweet peppers or red bell peppers, seeded and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick. (I had roasted a few red bell pepper last week and had them in the fridge so I just used those.)
Salt and Pepper (I used 1/4 tsp Wildtree's Rancher Steak Rub)
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
6 TBSP snipped fresh chives
10 large eggs
4 cups whole milk
12 slices (1/2 inch thick) white bread
2 and 1/2 cups coarsely shredded gruyere (Since I have no clue what gruyere is, I used shredded white cheddar cheese. It worked great =)

Grease a 9X13 baking dish. In large skillet, heat butter (or grapeseed oil if using.) Add the peppers and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring until peppers are softened. Stir in parsley and 3 TBSP chives.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper (or steak rub). Whisk in the milk.

In prepared dish, arrange 6 bread slices in single layer, cutting to fit, if needed. Top with the pepper mixture and 1 cup cheese, the with the remaining bread. Pour the egg mixture over the second layer of bread and top with remaining cheese. (This can be made the night before and ready for the oven Christmas morning.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake until puffed and brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 3 TBSP chives.

Cheesy Egg Bake - without extra chives on top

Our pretty plates on Christmas morning! Thanks Rachel Ray!

No comments:

Post a Comment