Monday, June 18, 2012

Ground Beef Casserole (Keema)

This is a simple and very tasty Pakistani dish that we tried for the first time tonight. You can serve it over hot cooked brown rice or whole wheat couscous. We served it over couscous. It definitely made our "make it again soon" list. I didn't have the frozen peas, but think that would have made it even better and I didn't have crushed tomatoes so I used my canned/diced ones. I did add a little fresh parsley from my garden.



Ingredients

    1.5 lbs lean ground sirloin
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, tumeric, ginger
    1 tbsp curry powder
    salt and pepper to taste
   
Directions
Brown ground sirloin in pan with onions until browned.
Add tomatoes, peas, potatoes and spices along with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
Add water if it becomes too thick. It should have the consistency of chili.
Serve over brown rice or whole wheat couscous.

(Who out there recognizes bowls like the green one I ate my dinner in?) ;) This is the same set we used in my home growing up.



    Servings Per Recipe: 6, Amount Per Serving, Calories: 199.2 Total Fat: 7.0 g Cholesterol: 54.1 mg
    Sodium: 129.9 mg Total Carbs: 12.0 g Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g Protein: 22.5 g

2 comments:

  1. And not just one blog, but two! Wow. You're a super woman. =) There is a recipe in the More with Less cookbook for Pakistani Kima, similar to this one, that I love. Unfortunately Jim isn't so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, Lee eats just about anything. I wasn't sure how he would respond to this, but he really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete