Monday, June 25, 2012

Apple Crisp

Our children love apples. I use them for baking and cooking, eating raw, sliced, diced, chopped, you name it. I had some Granny Smith apples that needed used up so I made a basic apple crisp.

Wish I would have gotten more of the crisp and less of the ice cream in the photo

Ingredients:
5 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples
2-4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
I also added 1 Tablespoon Wildtree's Cranberry Spice Blend
1/2 cup regular rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ginger or cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)



Method:
Place chopped apples in 2-quart baking dish. Stir in granulated sugar. (This is also where I added the Cranberry Spice Blend.) Stir well


For topping: In medium bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in nuts of using. Sprinkle over top of fruit.







Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden. Serve warm with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment