Thursday, May 20, 2010

Healthy choices made easy

It really is the small stuff that matters. Making small healthy changes can add up to a big difference overall. I like having something sweet on hand for dessert, but don't want to compromise my commitment to healthier choices. Besides using all-natural seasonings and spices (Wildtree makes this SO incredibly easy) I am also learning about other alternatives when it comes to baking and cooking.

One thing I have been using in place of white granulated sugar is evaporated cane juice crystals. I buy it at our local indoor Farmer's Market and it is relatively inexpensive. Obviously, raw sugar is another good choice, but that can get pricey if you bake often.

According the the World's Healthiest Foods Web site, evaporated cane juice is healthy alternative to regular sugar. While they are bother made from sugar cane, the evaporated cane juice does not go through as much processing as regular sugar. Visit http://whfoods.org/ and type in evaporated cane juice for more information. The only thing I've noticed with the cane juice crystals is that is has a slightly stronger taste so I have not used it to sweeten iced tea, but use it regularly for baking.

Since we ended up at a birthday party last evening (where I ate way too much) I made the Salmon and Asparagus tonight. I will post the recipes under the "Recipes" tab on my blog. I also made Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with a few minor adjustments to the original recipe to make them more healthy. You can find that recipe under the recipe tab too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment