Sunday, October 7, 2012

Stuffed Butternut Squash

Our family loves this dish. I found the original recipe in "Mennonite Recipes from the Shenandoah Valley."
I will include the original as well as my adaptations. One thing I have found is that because you have to bake the squash then stuff it and bake it again, I have to plan well ahead. I often bake the squash in the morning or around lunch time and even make the filling, refrigerate, then stuff and bake them for dinner. Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Stuffed Butternut Squash
Makes 6 large servings

3 small to medium-sized butternut squash
1/2 to 3/4 pound ground sausage (browned and drained)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 & 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (not the prepackaged kind)
1/4 cup butter, softened (I use a scant 1/4 cup Wildtree Butter Flavored Grapeseed Oil)
3 Tablespoons chopped green peppers
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp black pepper (I use a dash of Wildtree Rancher's Steak Rub in place of the salt and pepper)

Method: Split squash. Remove and discard seeds.

Place squash cut side down in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-90 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp, leaving shell 1/4 inch thick.

Mash pulp and mix with remaining ingredients. Pile lightly back into shells and bake again at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment