Friday, October 12, 2012

Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash

I can't remember where I got the original recipe for this, maybe WebMD? But our family really enjoys it. Just another great way to take a wonderful food such as squash and make it irresistible even for non-squash eaters while keeping it healthy too. 

Moroccan-Style Stuffed Acorn Squash 

2 large acorn squash halved/seeded
     (Bake squash cut side down until tender - 350 degrees for about 30 minutes)
Keep squash warm while preparing filling since you do not return this stuffed squash to the oven.)

(The original recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon melted butter. Dissolve sugar in melted butter and brush into the baked squash cavity. ~ I skip this step, but I'm sure it is a tasty addition.)

2 Tablespoons Grapseseed Oil or butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
2 stalks celery, chopped (Sometimes I use one diced apple in place of the celery)
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup raisins (I have also used dried Cranberries in place of raisins)
1&1/2 teaspoons ground Cumin (I use Wildtree's "Rockin' Moroccan Rub!" YUM
Salt and Pepper to taste (I use a shake of Wildtree's Rancher Steak Rub in place of salt and pepper)
1 14-oz can chicken broth (I use Wildtree's chicken or vegetable bullion soup base)
1 cup uncooked couscous

Heat grapeseed oil or butter, Stir in garlic, celery (or apples, whichever you are using) and carrots. Cook five minutes. Add Garbanzo beans, raisins and seasonings. Cook until veggies are tender. Add chicken broth and couscous. Cook, stirring often, just until couscous is tender. Pile mixture into squash halves and serve.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment