Saturday, August 3, 2013

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

I made these for a source of something sweet and dense during my 30-day Eat Clean challenge. I have always put oatmeal and sweet into the same category, so it threw me when I tasted the batter and it was NOT sweet. I was tempted to add some maple syrup or honey or raw sugar, but instead, I added enough currants and raisins that it sweetened it up for me that way.

I made an extra batch since I was dirtying the dishes anyway and put them in the freezer to get out as I want them.

The only thing I did differently than the recipe calls for was used Wildtree's butter flavored grapeseed oil instead of canola oil, I used whole flax seeds instead of ground and I added chopped pecans. Now that I have adjusted to no added sugar, I am enjoying them a lot. I got the recipe from Sparkpeople.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

1 Cup dry old fashioned oatmeal
1 Cup unsweetened applesauce (I make my own all the time)
1/2 Cup almond milk (unsweetend) Can use other milk if desired
2 egg whites, beaten
2 Tablespoon ground flax seed
2 Tablespoons plus one teaspoon of canola (or grapeseed) oil
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 Cup whole wheat flour
1/4 Cup dried cranberries, cherries and/or raisins

Method: Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare muffin tin by lining with paper or silicone liners. I greased them with coconut oil.

Combine Oatmeal, applesauce, milk, eggs, flax and and oil in medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, including dried fruit. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir until all ingredients are just combined.

Divide batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment