Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Herb Bread

I tried this last night for the first time. Our 5-year-old son, Eli, said it was the bestest bread in the whole wide world. I made turkey sandwiches for my husband's and son's lunches with slices of this bread today and they looked delicious! I am making egg salad (find recipe here) today to spread on this bread for yummy sandwiches tomorrow.

I got this recipe from A+ Recipes From Hickory Hollow Christian School, page 30, submitted by Joyce (Falb) Showalter.

Herb Bread

3 cups warm water
1/4 cup sugar or honey
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic granules (I used a heaping teaspoon of Wildtree's Garlic Galore Blend)
5 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons (dry) yeast
2 Tablespoon basil flakes
3 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
2 Tablespoons dried oregano
8 cups flour (1/2 whole wheat and half white, or your preference. I used 3 cups wheat and 5 white.)

Method: Combine warm water and yeast. Add sugar, oil, salt, and herbs. Mix well. Add flour until no longer sticky. Knead until smooth. Let rise until double. Punch down. Let rise again. Place shaped loaves into 3 greased 5X9 inch loaf pans. Let rise until double. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Yield: 3 loaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment