Thursday, November 21, 2013

25 Cent Memories - Priceless (Hot Cocoa Recipe)

The more my world expands, the more I become all about the little things. Today I stopped by Goodwill and besides snatching up 7 pairs of pants for Eli, I found two Christmas mugs for .25 a piece. When Eli got home from school, I made homemade hot cocoa for Eli and Elsie and served it up in their "new" very own mugs while Christmas tunes played in the background.

I know, I know, Thanksgiving isn't even here yet, but in our household we celebrate Christmas and Give Thanks all season long.

One would have thought it was Christmas morning by the delight in the children's voices as they helped make and then drink the hot cocoa. The afternoon's activities generated smiles and created memories that cannot be bought; not for .25, not for a million dollars... Its the small stuff.

Here's the hot cocoa recipe from my childhood memory. I think it is also on the side of the Hershey's Cocoa Powder box. (I use "Special Dark" cocoa powder so it is not on there, but regular is great too.)

Homemade Hot Cocoa

2 cups milk
1/8 cup Hershey's cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
Splash of vanilla flavoring
A very slight pinch of salt

Pour milk into heavy-bottom sauce pan. Add cocoa powder and stir until blended. Add sugar and heat slowly. Add vanilla and salt. (This recipe is easily doubled or tripled.)

To make it really special serve with mini marshmallows or place a peppermint stick or candy cane in the mug when serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment