Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Regina's Sausage Gravy

I have been making sausage gravy since I was a young teen. Over the years I have tweaked my recipe to this below. The recipe is requested every time I serve it. I believe that part of that is the combination of seasonings and the other reason is because of the method.

I never measure ingredients for the gravy so I am giving it my best guess. Adjust to you liking or as necessary. The picture below was obviously a large batch to feed a crowd. This is great for Easter Sunrise breakfasts.

Regina's Sausage Gravy

1 pound ground sausage
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon or more garlic powder
A shake of onion powder (Instead of using these two separate ingredients, I use about a 1/2 teaspoon of Wildtree Rancher Steak Rub.)
A quart or more of milk
A dash of hot sauce (to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method: Brown sausage slowly in skillet, breaking apart any large clumps. (I like it really fine.) I do this at medium low heat.

Turn burner temperature up a little higher for the rest of the process.

Do not drain sausage. Add flour to sausage in skillet and stir to coat. Add seasonings, but not hot sauce. Continue to stir until flour starts browning.

Add milk, stirring constantly. Either have additional milk or some water handy to thin if needed. Continue stirring until gravy has reached desired thickness. Add hot sauce. Add more milk (I usually use water) to thin if needed. If it does not thicken as you would like, take an additional 1/4 cup flour, mix with cold water until all clumps are stirred out and add to gravy. Just remember, gravy always thickens as it stands.

Serve with biscuits or pancakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment